This dish both sweet and tart. As a bonus, if you remove the skin and
fat from the chicken, and exclude the almonds, it's low-fat.
1 large onion
1 tbsp oil
1 chicken, quartered
1/4 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup apricot jam
1 cup orange juice
juice of one lemon
2 cups chicken broth or water
1 cup prunes, pitted
1 cup dried apricots
1 cup roasted, unsalted almonds (1/2 cup chopped
coarsely; 1/2 cup whole)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Chop the onion. Saute in large pot with oil until
soft, but not browned.
2. Remove skin and fat from chicken. While onion is
cooking, mix ginger and cinnamon and sprinkle on chicken pieces.
3. When onion is finished, place chicken in the pot, and brown on all sides.
4. Add all other ingredients, but reserve the 1/2 cup whole almonds for a
5. Cook over a low flame for at least 40 minutes, keeping an eye open to
make sure there is enough liquid. Add more broth if necessary.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Serve with rice and garnish with remaining almonds.
Variation: Skip the almonds and add different dried fruit, such as pears,
cherries, or currants. Also works well with dried apples, if you also
substitute the orange juice for apple juice. This also works well with
beef. Just cook longer, and don't brown the meat in the beginning.
From: Virtual Jerusalem, Ltd., 1995-1996
All data, logos, text contained on any portion of Mimi's Cyber Kitchen
copyright 1995 through 2001 Mimi Hiller, JB Hiller, Jennifer Hiller. No
portions of this website may be used without express written permission of