Touran is a little village in the Upper Galilee famous for
producing many chefs and restaurateurs.
4 spring chickens (cornish hens), weighing 1 lb. each
3 tbps coarse salt
3 onions, sliced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp saffron
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 tablespoons sumak
1/2 cup olive oil
4 large pitas
1. Clean the chickens, rub with salt inside and out, and
refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Put the onions and garlic into a shallow casserole dish
just big enough to hold all 4 chckens.
3. Mix all the spices together.
4. Take the chickens out of the refrigerator, wash them,
pat them dry and rub them with the spice mixture inside
5. Put them on top of the onions in the casserole dish, breast
up. Refrigerate for several hours.
6. Transfer the contents of the casserole dish to a large,
shallow saucepan, add 2 cups of water, bring to a boil,
cover and cook until the birds are very tender. The water
will evaporate, but if this happens too fast, add a
7. Remove from the heat and add the olive oil. Transfer to
the casserole dish and broil/grill for 8 mninutes.
8. Spread the onions on the 4 pitas, put the chickens on top
and broil for another 5 minutes.
Source: TASTE OF ISRAEL: A Mediterranean Feast
Avi Ganor and Ron Maiber
All data, logos, text contained on any portion of Mimi's Cyber Kitchen
copyright 1995 through 2001 Mimi Hiller, JB Hiller, Jennifer Hiller. No
portions of this website may be used without express written permission of