4 baby chickens (about 1 lb each)
1 lb fresh mushrooms, mixed varieties
2 cups breadcrumbs (See note)
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup onion -- chopped
3 Tbsp parsley -- chopped
3 large basil leaves -- chopped
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp oregano
1 bay leaf -- crumbled
2 cups chicken stock
salt and pepper -- to taste
foil -- to wrap chickens
1. Bone chickens, leave skin on
2. Season with lemon, salt and pepper and chill 3 hours.
3. Cook onions in oil until transparent. Stir in chopped
shallots, crushed garlic and mushrooms. Season with salt
and pepper and cook until liquid has evaporated.
4. Stir in dried herbs. Cook 1 minute.
5. Stir in breadcrumbs and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Stir in parsley and basil. Add 1/4 cup chicken stock and
stir to combine. Let cool
6. Remove chickens from the refrigerator and dry pieces well.
7. Oil 4 squares of foil. Place 1 chicken, skin side down on
each. Place 2 to 3 T filling on top, and re-shape. Close
foil tightly around it to seal well
9. Place packages in an oiled pyrex and add 1/4 cup of stock.
10 Bake in a 425 F oven (pre heated) for 45 minutes, adding
more stock as needed.
11 Remove from oven and remove foil. Bake another 15 to 20
minutes or until golden brown.
12. Let cool a little and cut in half lenghtwise. Serve with
sauce left in pyrex.
Note: For Pesach, you can substitute ground Matza
All data, logos, text contained on any portion of Mimi's Cyber Kitchen
copyright 1995 through 2001 Mimi Hiller, JB Hiller, Jennifer Hiller. No
portions of this website may be used without express written permission of