1 lb less 2 Tb all purpose flour
2 egg yolks
1/4 lb Crisco
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup cold water
1 tsp salt
1 3 lb chicken
OR 2 1/2 lb chicken breasts with bones -- cut up
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic -- crushed
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
4 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 cup heart of palm, chopped
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 tsp thyme
pinch chili pepper
salt and pepper to taste
3 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs flour
1. Make dough: Place flour and salt in a bowl and cut in
the Crisco until it resembles coarse meal. Add the rest of
the ingredients and knead to form a firm dough. Chill 2
2. Season chicken with salt and let stand 1 hour. Rinse.
3. Brown chicken without skin in the oil. Add the onions
and cook until translucent.
4. Add the bell pepper, the garlic , the tomatoes, salt,
pepper, bayleaf, thyme and chili pepper. Cover pan and
simmer 25 to 30 minutes.
5. Let cool in the sauce. Remove the bayleaf
6 Remove chicken from the sauce and remove the bones. Cut
chicken into bite size pieces. Set aside. (you should have 1
cup sauce) If not cook it down to 1 cup or add chicken broth.
7. Stir flour into broth and add to the sauce in the pan.
Cook until thick, stirring constantly. Cook 2 minutes over
8. Return chicken pieces to thickened sauce, off of the heat.
Stir to combine. Let cool.
9. Wash heart of palm with lemon and water. Drain well.
10. Roll out dough to 1 1/2 " thick, fold in 3. Divide
dough in 2 portions.
11. Roll out first portion and line a Pyrex with it. The
rolled out dough should pass the edges by 1 inch.
12. Spoon chicken filling into dough, top with hearts of
13. roll out second portion of dough and place it on top to
cover, Press edges to adhere.
14. Cut off excess dough.
15. Make a chimney on top. Decorate with trimmings.
16. Brush with egg yolk
17. bake in a preheated 350 F for 30 minutes.
NOTES : Freezes well.
All data, logos, text contained on any portion of Mimi's Cyber Kitchen
copyright 1995 through 2001 Mimi Hiller, JB Hiller, Jennifer Hiller. No
portions of this website may be used without express written permission of