"Nouvelle Sephardic" from Nira Rousso; Ha'aretz Magazine, July 9, 1999.
Chicken with Glazed Pearl Onions
An excellent recipe from the kitchen of Suzy David.
1 medium-sized chicken, cut into 6-8 portions
3 Tablespoons oil
1 tsp. salt
3/4 cup water
1 kilo pearl onions
3 Tablespoons sugar
juice of 1/2 lemon
freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Heat 2 tbs. of oil in broad, low-rimmed pot or skillet with close-fitting
lid. Fry chicken pieces on all sides until golden. Season with salt. Add half
the water. Cover. Bring to boil. Lower flame and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, peel pearl onions and blanch in boiling water for 2-3 minutes.
3. In a medium-sized pot, heat remaining oil with sugar and 1 tbs. of water over
medium flame until sugar is caramelized and light brown. Take care not to let
sugar burn. Shake pot so caramel is evenly distributed on bottom and sides. Add
pearl onions and keep shaking pot until onions are covered.
4. Carefully move glazed onions and caramel to pot with chicken. Mix gently to
avoid breaking up onions. Add remaining water. Cover and simmer over low flame
for another 15 minutes.
5. Remove from flame. Add lemon juice. Season with black pepper.
All data, logos, text contained on any portion of Mimi's Cyber Kitchen
copyright 1995 through 2001 Mimi Hiller, JB Hiller, Jennifer Hiller. No
portions of this website may be used without express written permission of