"Nouvelle Sephardic" from Nira Rousso; Ha'aretz Magazine, July 9, 1999.
Zucchini in Fresh Apricot Sauce
Recipe of Rena Valero, adapted slightly by Nira Rousso to include meat.
1/2 kilo [1 lb+] small zucchini
1/2 cup rice
600 grams [21 oz.] ground beef or lamb
1/2 tsp. ground allspice (bahar)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
salt & pepper to taste
3 Tablespoons oil
Sauce: 3/4 kilo fresh apricots
1. Wash zucchini. Lightly peel and core.
2. Combine rice, meat, allspice, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
3. Stuff zucchini three-quarters full.
4. Heat oil in pot. Add zucchini and fry a bit until golden.
5. Remove zucchini from pot with slotted spoon.
6. Remove apricot pits.
7. Place half of apricots in pot with oil. Place stuffed zucchini on top,
packing tightly. Cover with another layer of apricots.
8. Steam over low flame in covered pot.
9. Serve hot.
All data, logos, text contained on any portion of Mimi's Cyber Kitchen
copyright 1995 through 2001 Mimi Hiller, JB Hiller, Jennifer Hiller. No
portions of this website may be used without express written permission of