Note: See variations following recipe
1. Combine the flour and baking powder in a large bowl and set aside.
2. In another bowl, combine the sugar, egg whites, pear baby food, orange juice, and vanilla. Stir into the flour mixture to form a dough. Shape the dough into a ball, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. When the dough is chilled, preheat the oven to 350F. Coat 2 large cookie sheets with cooking spray and set aside.
4. On a floured board, roll out the chilled dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch round cookie cutter (the top of the same size water glass), cut out circles of dough. Place 1/2 teaspoon of prune or apricot butter on the center of each circle. Bring up the sides over the filling and press into a triangular shape.
5. Place on cookie sheets and bake for 9 to 12 minutes, or until the hamantaschen are slightly brown on the bottom.
6. Allow to cool before serving.
Carbohydrates: 16.9 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Fat: 0.1 g
Fiber: 0.2 g
Protein: 1.3 g
Sodium: 16 mg
Feel free to use any fruit butter, jam, preserve, or jelly for the filling Before baking the hamantaschen, brush the dough with beaten egg white