Stir-fried Beef With Tomatoes and Snow Peas in Black Bean
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 1 tablespoon salted fermented black beans
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons soy or tamari sauce
- Flank steak, sliced thinly at an angle
- 1/2 pound fresh snow peas, ends and strings removed
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 cups defatted chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 package sun-dried tomatoes, reconstituted according to
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon water (optional)
- 2 scallions, both white and green parts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- Combine all "A" ingredients and set aside.
- "B" ingredients: Combine the cornstarch,
baking soda, and soy sauce in Ziploc bag. Add the steak, about
a quarter at a time, mixing with the cornstarch mixture until
well coated. (If necessary, you may have to double the cornstarch
mixture, depending on the size of the steak.) Marinate for at
least 1/2 hour.
- Heat wok over high flame. Add 2 tablespoons peanut oil and
stir fry beef till browned. Remove to serving bowl.
- Do not wash wok. Add 1 tablespoon peanut oil to empty wok.
Saute "A" ingredients till fragrant, about 1
minute. Remove to serving bowl with beef.
- Add last tablespoon oil to wok. Stir fry snow peas, about
2 minutes. Add chicken broth, salt and pepper, and tomatoes. Simmer
about 5 minutes.
- Return beef to wok with the broth mixture, stir frying about
a minute. If the sauce does not thicken combine the optional ingredients
and add to wok, stirring about 1 minute or until thick. Add sherry
and scallions. Stir for a few seconds to combine.
Serve with white rice.
back to recipe index | return to Mimi's Cyber Kitchen Home Page
E-mail to Mimi or JB (please include a name in the subject of
the message) firstname.lastname@example.org